Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Two Young Lions on the Move

I haven't caught either of them live, at least not yet. But, two young lions in Jazz have evolved in the past ten years, Pianist Robert Glasper, and trombonist Christian Scott, also known as Christian aTunde Ajuah.

I was introduced to the music of both artists while hosting the Evening Jazz Program at 90.7fm wncu. Robert Glasper had been working with several regulars in my playlist like Russel Malone, Christian McBride, Roy Hargrove, and others. Glasper, Downbeat Magazine's Readers' Choice for "Beyond Artist" and "Black Radio", refuses to be pinned down to any particular genre, drawing on
Jazz, Hip Hop and Rock, he first caught my attention with his early work. Grammy Award winner Scott is also the 2010 Edison Award winner for Best International Jazz Artist. Now, I seen Miles Davis Live on at least five occasions, and there are flashes of Miles on Scott's DVD, "Live at Newport". Not the same sound, but rather an attitude.

I would also recognize that their sound is not seen as Jazz by some. Well, I am a purist when it comes to Jazz. I was inspired in 1955 by a live concert featuring Duke and Diz. I was eight years old, standing in the wings of a concert theatre, where my mother was a performer. I was just ten feet away from the great Duke Ellington. In the 60's I was in my twenties. Hooked on 'Trane, Archie, Gary Bartz, Anthony Braxton, and many othersI frequented late night clubs like, Slugs, Port of Call East and others on the lower east side of Manhattan.

 So, I feel you. But, Jazz is moving on and, I have a need to move on, and pay attention to these young artists while I'm still breathing. It's their time. After all, Jazz did evolved from Gospel and The Blues.

Check out their vidoes at, jazzonthetube.com.


What's your take?


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

<2>,