Sunday, January 10, 2010

Close Encounters

Living in Cleveland in the mid 70's I heard that Keith Jarrett was performing at nearby Oberlin College, about an hour away.

I'd been a rabid fan since the first time I heard Jarrett on Charles Lloyd's Forest Flower in the late 60's. His playing reminded me of

a water fall. My admiration for his music only grew when his solo albums were released. I drove friends crazy incessantly playing the Bremen-Lusanne album.

So, there was no question that I would go see him live.

Arriving at the Oberlin Campus that cold Saturday I checked into the campus hotel where I bumped into drummer Paul Motion at the front desk. I knew I was getting close to someone whose music had shaped my thinking on Jazz.

As I took the steps up to my room I passed a room with the door wide open. I instinctivley turned my gaze toward the exposed room and there was Keith Jarrett, just sitting in a chair. I literally froze. Noticing that he was obviously pre-occupied, I nodded and he responded in kind.

I was awestruck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

<2>,