Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Best Jazz Club I've Never Been to

I grew up listening to Jazz in Cleveland, Ohio. I remember seeing several clubs in town, like The Jazz Temple, when I was too young to get in. As I got older, I left for college, and eventually moved out of town. But before I left, one club, the Nighttown opened in Cleveland Heights, near the campus of Case, Western Reserve University. Having made very few trips home in the last three decades, I have never found the opportunity check out this venue. My loss.

The Nighttown is a first class spot. Vogue Magazine had this to say about it, "The late night Cleveland crowds head to The Nighttown, a dimly lite Jazz bar, where everyone from Wynton Marsalis to The Count Basie Orchestra, has graced the stage. Also, for the ninth straight year, The Nighttown has been named one of the best Jazz clubs in the world by Downbeat Magazine.

So, this post is a plug for the best Jazz club in my home town, and I have recommended it before. That recommendation was to my brother a couple of years ago when I read somewhere that Jazz pianist, Amina Figorova, from Azerbaijan, would be performing at The Nighttown, for free. I was a fan of hers since my days as host of the Evening Jazz program at 90.7fm wncu in Durham, NC. I told my brother that if I were in Cleveland I go to see her even if it wasn't free. He and and my sister-in-law went and enjoyed it immensely.


If you plan to be in Cleveland during the holidays, check out The Nighttown. You might just see world percussionist Jamey Haddad, or sultry song stylist Vanessa Rubin, both are scheduled to be on the bill this month, and both are highly recommended

For more news on the Nighttown go to, http://home.ezezine.com/640_2/640_2-2012.12.23.14.45.archive.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment

<2>,