Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pleasantly surprised at Chicago's Green Mill

Before leaving on a trip to Chicago a few years ago someone suggested I check out the Green Mill, North Side Chicago's historic Jazz hang. Looking forward to the experience in one of my favorite cities, I was glad to hear that Kurt Elling was artist in residence there.

Elling is a favorite of mine, and was a regular in my rotation when I was host of the Evening Jazz Program at 90.7fm, wncu in Durham, NC. A few of my listeners were quite critical of Elling, and told me they actually turned down the volume when I played his music. I reminded one listener that in 2006 the legendary Jazz vocalist, John Hendricks, was quoted as saying that
Kurt Elling was the, "...only male vocalist who was out there doing anything". Enough said.

On anticipation of seeing Elling live I arrived at the Green Mill with friends, only to find that his appearance had been cancelled due to the impending birth of a new baby. So, slightly disappointed? Yes. But, being at a club steeped in Jazz history since the 30's & 40's, and made even more infamous by Al Capone's frequent visits, I decided to stay.

Standing in for Kurt was guitarist Alfonso Porticelli and Swing Gitan Band, Chicago's premier gypsy Jazz band, that plays in the style of Django Reinhardt. The groups' sound is a blend of early swing, with the passion of Gypsy music driven by two guitarists, a violinist and a bassist. I was pleasantly surprised, and would recommend this group. For more info on  Swing Gitan go to, www.swinggitan.com.

The lesson for me was simple. If you like Jazz, and are in Chicago, just go to the Green Mill on the city's north side and enjoy first rate Jazz. For more info go to, greenmilljazz.com.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

<2>,